1.12.2009

To Wii Or Not To Wii



It may be a combination of a lot of things, but I feel that the experiment with including the Wii iin the Kup was not successful. As an owner of a Wii, I personally enjoy playing Wii Kart more than N64. However, for Kart Kups, I personally feel we should stick with tradition - even though it was my suggestion to include it.

I'll liken the KCS to the BCS. Back in the day, the college bowl games were almost all played on New Year's day. I would chill on the couch all day, watching the best football of the year while munching on an assortment of goodies my dad would lay out. Sure there would be the inevitable debate on who the actual champion was, but it was good football. The BCS was formed to help "define" a true champion. Yet, as we have seen recently, all it has done is dilute the bowl games over several weeks, and still does not provide us with a true champion. Since the bowl games span several weeks now anyways, we might as well have a playoff system.

I apologize for straying from the subject, but what I'm trying to get at is that we have, through trial and error, found a system for the KCS that we agree on, and we should stick to it.

Although, as Dave may attest, since the KCS system was put in place Dave has not won a championship. Even this last championship only had two rounds AND the scoring had to revert back to old school scoring (thanks to my lack of owning modern technological devices).

What I'm trying to get at, is the Wii seemed to take away from the magic of the Kup, and maybe we should consider banning the Wii (at least until we run out of viable controllers).

1 comment:

Dave said...

That was quite a tangent in there for a post that started out about whether or not we should play the Wii :)

Actually, I didn't win the Kart Kup until we established the KCS, first with the tracks weighted 1-16, then with the tracks weighted 1-4 like they are now, but encorporating head-to-head playoffs. It has been since the KCS dropped the playoff and settled on the current system that I have been shut out.

Saturday was actually my first Kart Kup victory using classic scoring. So, all three of my Kup victories have been with different scoring systems. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not.